The Your New Town Hall
project will rejuvenate Lambeth’s historic Town Hall, preserving its features and making it more open and accessible to residents. It will also reduce Lambeth Council’s core office buildings from 14 to two, saving at least £4.5m a year.
The project will feature:
- Quality office space for local enterprises and start-ups
- An energy efficient civic building with customer centre and council offices
- Landscaped public areas
- 194 new homes, 40 per cent of which will be classed as affordable homes
- A new cycle hub with changing/shower facilities and a café.
The scheme will be ‘car-free’ – parking permits will not be allowed, except for basement parking for wheelchair residents within the Olive Morris House development.
Designs for the project centre around a ‘Triangle Site’ comprising the Town Hall, Town Hall Parade, Hambrook House and Ivor House. Development plans include (click on links for more information):
- The Town Hall – This will be retained for democratic services, community, and start-up business space
- Town Hall Parade – To be redeveloped for the new council office building
- Hambrook House – Will be redeveloped for new homes
- The Press – Will be redeveloped as a cycle hub and cafe
- Ivor House – Will be refurbished for new homes.
Below is an aerial view of the Lambeth Council buildings that are proposed for the ‘Your New Town Hall’ redevelopment
The Your New Town Hall project is part of the Future Brixton programme along with other site specific projects Brixton Central and Somerleyton Road, and work taking place across the town centre. To find out more about other regeneration projects underway in Brixton please visit www.futurebrixton.org