This page will provide information about works occurring in relation to the Your New Town Hall project.
In addition to these updates, near neighbours/affected parties will also continue to be updated directly.
- Structural remodelling of the basement area is being carried out to adapt the new planning committee room
- The Ancillary buildings to the Town Hall Courtyard have been demolished to make way for a ground floor slab
- The original Town Hall façade has now been exposed to the courtyard
- Internally we are carrying out brickwork and blockwork repairs, along with damp proofing works to the basement.
- All piling works are now complete, we are forming the new foundation for the new Civic office
- District heating works are being installed to Buckner Road
- Drainage installations have been incorporated into the existing structure ready for the new layout
- Demolition works are nearing completion
Construction and Environmental Management Plan (CEMP)
The Construction and Environmental Management Plan (CEMP) provides details of the works being undertaken on the Triangle site.
The purpose of the CEMP is to:
- Describe the nature of the construction activities
- Summarise the likely environmental issues that may arise during construction such as noise, dust and vibration
- Specify the team’s approach to managing these
- Outline the construction and demolition programme
The local community was involved in consultation and a summary of this document is available to view here:
Download CEMP summary
About the contractor
Morgan Sindall is the main contractor working on site and is part of the Considerate Constructors scheme which means they will adhere to and exceed where possible, the scheme’s codes and standards to minimise disturbance or negative impact (in terms of noise, dirt and inconvenience) sometimes caused by construction sites. The scheme seeks to observe standards of site management, safety and environmental awareness beyond statutory duties.
Morgan Sindall is also bound to the CEMP described above and will be undertaking construction within the guidelines set out in the document.
Commencement of main works
Whilst some early, preparatory works were undertaken in early 2016, works on Phase 1A began in April 2016. This includes:
- The demolition of Town Hall Parade and the erection of a six storey building to create a new, energy efficient Civic Office
Diagram to show the redevelopment process of Town Hall Parade. From left to right, images show: Town Hall Parade today/prior to works; Town Hall Parade demolition – Commencement April 2016 – completion Summer 2016; Civic Centre construction – Summer 2016 – Spring 2018; Civic Centre complete – Spring 2018. (Click diagram to enlarge)
- Refurbishment and alterations to the Grade II listed Lambeth Town Hall. Works will include the demolition of modern buildings to the rear, reinstatement of the original atrium with a new roof, installation of new lifts, doors and windows. There will also be basement modifications to provide new office space and enhanced public facilities
- Change of use of the Press building from council uses to provide a cycle hub comprising 218 cycle spaces along with a café
- Street trees and landscaping.
Community enquiries during construction
If you have any further questions or concerns about construction, please contact Dalia Islam, Morgan Sindall’s Community Liaison Officer on 07976 587 990 or email email@example.com.